Groundbreaking hair loss cure related research is always being undertaken by universities, labs, companies and governments globally.
On this page, I have compiled a comprehensive list of key hair loss research centers by country. I am only including those entities that satisfy at least one of the below:
- Is home to at least one renowned hair loss researcher.
- Has been in the news several times when it comes to groundbreaking hair related research and discoveries.
- Has published many hair loss related papers in reputable journals.
I hope to update this page every few months. I also hope to add many more Chinese universities and research centers (currently lacking) in the coming years.
Make sure to also check out my detailed pages on:
World Hair Loss Cure Research by Country
Hair loss research is taking place at over 100 universities, private labs and companies around the world. Below, you can find a list of the most important centers of hair loss cure research by country.
United States: Hair Loss Research
- Allergan — Including Bimatoprost, Setipiprant, Exicure, and Pelage Pharmaceuticals.
- Aneira Pharma.
- BiologicsMD — University of Arkansas.
- Boston Children’s Hospital — Dr. Karl Koehler.
- Columbia University — Dr. Angela Christiano and her company Rapunzel Biosciences.
- Duke University — Dr. Elise Olsen.
- Follica. [Update: Paused all work related to hair loss in 2023].
- Harvard University — Hsu Laboratory.
- Histogen — Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC). [Update: Stopped working on hair loss in 2021].
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai — The Rendl Lab.
- Johns Hopkins University — Dr. Luis Garza.
- Kerastem Technologies — Adipose (fat) tissue and hair growth.
- Kythera Biopharmaceuticals — Setipiprant, a PGD2 antagonist. [Update: Kythera acquired by Allergan on June 17, 2015].
- New York University — Dr. Mayumi Ito.
- Northwestern University — Dr. Rui Yi.
- Rockefeller University — Dr. Elaine Fuchs.
- Samumed — SM04554 topical solution to activate Wnt pathway. Later renamed to Biosplice Therapeutics. [Update: Stopped working on hair loss in 2021].
- Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute — Dr. Alexey Terskikh & Dr. Ksenia Gnedeva. Also see Stemson Therapeutics.
- Southern Illinois University — Dr. Michael Neumeister.
- Stanford University — Dr. Anthony Oro.
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Hair Loss Research — Dr. Rajesh Thangapazham, Dr. Thomas Darling & Dr. Shaowei Li.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham — Dr. Melissa Harris.
- University of California Irvine — Dr. Maksim Plikus. He also founded the company Amplifica.
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) — Dr. Heather Christofk and Dr. William Lowry.
- University of Kansas — Dr. Omar Aljitawi.
- University of Pennsylvania — Dr. George Cotsarelis (also see Follica, whose technology is licensed from U Penn).
- University of Southern California — Quorum Sensing via Dr. Cheng-Ming Chuong & Wnt7b via Dr. Krzysztof Kobielak.
- University of Texas Southwestern — Krox20 and Dr. Lu Le.
- University of Wisconsin — Electricity Delivering Cap and Dr. Xudong Wang.
- Yale University — Dr. Brett King & Dr. Valerie Horsley.
- Wake Forest University — Dr. Amy McMichael & various others.
- University of British Columbia — Dr. Kevin McElwee (also see Replicel, where he is Chief Scientific Officer).
- University of Calgary — Dr. Jeff Biernaskie.
- University of Manitoba — Dr. Malcolm Xing.
- Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin: Clinical Research Center for Hair and Skin Science — Dr. Annika Vogt and Dr. Ulrike Blume-Peytavi.
- Mallia Therapeutics via Friedrich-Alexander University (FAU) research — Dr. Alexander Steinkasserer.
- Monasterium Laboratory — Dr. Ralf Paus.
- Technische Universität Berlin — Dr. Roland Lauster & Dr. Gerd Lindner. Also see Tissuse.
- University of Lübeck — Dr. Jennifer Klopper.
- Theracell — cell-based hair regeneration via 3-D culturing.
- Technion — Israel Institute of Technology.
- Cassiopea — CB-03-01 (Breezula) topical antiandrogen (and Winlevi for acne).
- Dr. Pietro Gentile — Prolific author of studies on PRP, adipose stem cells and other regenerative hair loss treatments.
- Farmacia Parati (and Dr. Hasson) — Topical Finasteride and perhaps topical Dutasteride.
- Fidia Farmaceutici and Trinov aka Brotzu Lotion — PGE1 and DGLA.
- Mediteknia Hair Lab — Dr. Francisco Jimenez Acosta
- Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO) — Dr. Mirna Perez-Moreno & Dr. Donatello Castellana.
- University of Bradford — Dr. Valerie Randall & Dr. Des Tobin.
- Durham University — Dr. Claire Higgins & Dr. Colin Jahoda.
- University of Manchester — Dr. Ralf Paus.
- Hebei University of Science and Technology — Dr. Chunyu Han.
- Hope Medicine.
- Southern Medical University (Nanfang Hospital) — Dr. Malcolm Xing and Dr. Zhi-Qi Hu.
- Kintor Pharmaceutical.
- TehnoDerma and its TDM-105795 topical formulation.
Japan: Hair Loss Cure Research
- Keio University — Dr. Manabu Ohyama.
- Kobe Biomedical Innovation Cluster (KBIC) — RIKEN, Dr. Takashi Tsuji and Shiseido.
- Kyorin University — Dr. Hirotaro Fukuoka & Dr. Hirotaka Suga.
- Nippon Medical School — Dr. Rei Ogawa.
- Osaka University — Dr. Shigeki Inui.
- Shiseido — They have their own internal hair loss research segment and also use technology from Canada’s Replicel.
- Tokyo Medical and Dental — Stem Cell Biology Department via Dr. Hiroyuki Matsumura.
- Tokyo University of Science — Dr. Takashi Tsuji.
- Yokohama University — Dr. Junji Fukuda.
- CosmeRNA, via siRNAgen Therapeutics (Bioneer).
- Catholic University of Korea — various doctors via their dermatology department.
- Daewoong Pharmaceutical and Inventage Lab — Finasteride injections.
- Han Bio.
- JW Pharmaceutical.
- OliX Pharmaceuticals.
- Seoul National University Hospital (SNUH) — Allogeneic hair transplants (led by Professor Kwon Oh-sang).
- Yonsei University — CXXC5, PTD-DBM and Dr. Kang-Yell Choi. Also see CK Regeon.
- National Taiwan University — Dr. Sung-Jan Lin.