Groundbreaking hair loss related research is being undertaken by various universities, labs, companies and governments globally. On this page, I have compiled a comprehensive list of key hair loss research centers by country. I am only including those entities that are:
- Home to at least one renowned hair loss researcher.
- Or have been in the news many times when it comes to groundbreaking hair loss related research and discoveries.
- Or have published many hair loss related papers in reputable journals.
I hope to update this page every few months and add many more Asian universities and research centers on there in the coming years.
World Hair Loss Research List by Country
Hair loss research is taking place at over 100 universities, private labs and companies around the world. Below, you can find a list of the most important centers of hair loss cure research by country.
United States: Hair Loss Research
- Allergan — Bimatoprost (prostamide analog), Setipiprant, Exicure, Pelage Pharmaceuticals.
- BiologicsMD — University of Arkansas.
- Columbia University — Dr. Angela Christiano and her company Rapunzel Biosciences.
- Duke University — Dr. Elise Olsen.
- Harvard University — Hsu Laboratory.
- Histogen — Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC).
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai — The Rendl Lab.
- Johns Hopkins University — Dr. Luis Garza.
- Kerastem Technologies — Adipose (fat) tissue and hair growth.
- Kythera Biopharmaceuticals — Setipiprant, a PGD2 antaogonist. [Update: Kythera acquired by Allergan on June 17, 2015].
- New York University — Dr. Mayumi Ito.
- Rockefeller University — Dr. Elaine Fuchs.
- Samumed — SM04554 topical solution to activate Wnt pathway.
- Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute — Dr. Alexey Terskikh & Dr. Ksenia Gnedeva.
- Southern Illinois University — Dr. Michael Neumeister.
- Stanford University — Dr. Anthony Oro.
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Hair Loss Research — Dr. Rajesh Thangapazham, Dr. Thomas Darling & Dr. Shaowei Li.
- University of California Irvine — Dr. Maksim Plikus.
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) — Dr. Heather Christofk and Dr. William Lowry.
- University of Florida — Prometheon Pharma –> Follicept.
- University of Kansas — Dr. Omar Aljitawi.
- University of Pennsylvania — Dr. George Cotsarelis (also see Follica, whose technology is licensed from U Penn).
- University of Southern California — Quorum Sensing via Dr. Cheng-Ming Chuong & Wnt7b via Dr. Krzysztof Kobielak.
- University of Texas Southwestern — Krox20 and Dr. Lu Le.
- University of Wisconsin — Electricity Delivering Cap and Dr. Xudong Wang.
- Yale University — Dr. Brett King & Dr. Valerie Horsley.
- Wake Forest University — Dr. Amy McMichael & various others.
- University of British Columbia — Dr. Kevin McElwee (also see Replicel, where he is Chief Scientific Officer).
- University of Calgary — Dr. Jeff Biernaskie.
- University of Manitoba — Dr. Malcolm Xing.
- Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin: Clinical Research Center for Hair and Skin Science — Dr. Annika Vogt and Dr. Ulrike Blume-Peytavi.
- Monasterium Laboratory — Dr. Ralf Paus.
- Technische Universität Berlin — Dr. Roland Lauster & Dr. Gerd Lindner. Also see Tissuse.
- University of Lübeck — Dr. Jennifer Klopper.
- Theracell — cell-based hair regeneration via 3-D culturing.
- Technion — Israel Institute of Technology.
- Farmacia Parati (and Dr. Hasson) — Topical Finasteride and perhaps topical Dutasteride.
- Cassiopea — CB-03-01 topical antiandrogen.
- Fidia Farmaceutici and Trinov aka Brotzu Lotion — PGE1 and DGLA.
- Mediteknia Hair Lab — Dr. Francisco Jimenez Acosta
- Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO) — Dr. Mirna Perez-Moreno & Dr. Donatello Castellana.
- Follicum — FOL-005 drug to inhibit body hair and/or increase scalp hair.
- Polichem — P-3074 topical Finasteride product.
- University of Bradford — Dr. Valerie Randall & Dr. Des Tobin.
- Durham University — Dr. Claire Higgins & Dr. Colin Jahoda.
- University of Manchester — Dr. Ralf Paus.
- Cellmid — FGF-5 inhibition.
- University of Melbourne — Dr. Rodney Sinclair.
- University of Queensland — Dr. Julien Legrand.
- Southern Medical University (Nanfang Hospital) — Dr. Zhi-Qi Hu.
- Hebei Univeristy of Science and Technology — Dr. Chunyu Han.
Japan: Hair Loss Research
- Keio University — Dr. Manabu Ohyama.
- Kobe Biomedical Innovation Cluster (KBIC) — RIKEN, Dr. Takashi Tsuji and Shiseido/Replicel.
- Kyorin University — Dr. Hirotaro Fukuoka & Dr. Hirotaka Suga.
- Nippon Medical School — Dr. Rei Ogawa.
- Osaka University — Dr. Shigeki Inui.
- Shiseido — Canada-based Replicel’s much larger Japanese partner.
- Tokyo University of Science — Dr. Takashi Tsuji.
- Yokohama University — Dr. Junji Fukuda.
- Catholic University of Korea — various doctors via their dermatology department.
- CHA Bio-Cosmetic Institute — no updates on their news page since 2013.
- Yonsei University — CXXC5, PTD-DBM and Dr. Kang-Yell Choi.
- National Taiwan University — Dr. Sung-Jan Lin.