Groundbreaking hair loss cure related research is always being undertaken by universities, labs, companies and governments globally.
On this page, I have compiled a comprehensive list of key hair loss research centers by country. I am only including those entities that satisfy at least one of the below:
- Is home to at least one renowned hair loss researcher.
- Has been in the news several times when it comes to groundbreaking hair related research and discoveries.
- Has published many hair loss related papers in reputable journals.
I hope to update this page every few months. I also hope to add many more Chinese universities and research centers (currently lacking) in the coming years.
World Hair Loss Cure Research by Country
Hair loss research is taking place at over 100 universities, private labs and companies around the world. Below, you can find a list of the most important centers of hair loss cure research by country.
United States: Hair Loss Research
- Allergan — Bimatoprost (prostamide analog), Setipiprant, Exicure, Pelage Pharmaceuticals.
- Aneira Pharma.
- BiologicsMD — University of Arkansas.
- Boston Children’s Hospital — Dr. Karl Koehler.
- Columbia University — Dr. Angela Christiano and her company Rapunzel Biosciences.
- Duke University — Dr. Elise Olsen.
- Harvard University — Hsu Laboratory.
- Histogen — Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC).
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai — The Rendl Lab.
- Johns Hopkins University — Dr. Luis Garza.
- Kerastem Technologies — Adipose (fat) tissue and hair growth.
- Kythera Biopharmaceuticals — Setipiprant, a PGD2 antaogonist. [Update: Kythera acquired by Allergan on June 17, 2015].
- New York University — Dr. Mayumi Ito.
- Northwestern Univeristy — Dr. Rui Yi.
- Rockefeller University — Dr. Elaine Fuchs.
- Samumed — SM04554 topical solution to activate Wnt pathway. Later renamed to Biosplice Therapeutics. [Update: Stopped working on hair loss in 2021].
- Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute — Dr. Alexey Terskikh & Dr. Ksenia Gnedeva. Also see Stemson Therapeutics.
- Southern Illinois University — Dr. Michael Neumeister.
- Stanford University — Dr. Anthony Oro.
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Hair Loss Research — Dr. Rajesh Thangapazham, Dr. Thomas Darling & Dr. Shaowei Li.
- University of Alabama at Birmingham — Dr. Melissa Harris.
- University of California Irvine — Dr. Maksim Plikus. He also founded the company Amplifica.
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) — Dr. Heather Christofk and Dr. William Lowry.
- University of Kansas — Dr. Omar Aljitawi.
- University of Pennsylvania — Dr. George Cotsarelis (also see Follica, whose technology is licensed from U Penn).
- University of Southern California — Quorum Sensing via Dr. Cheng-Ming Chuong & Wnt7b via Dr. Krzysztof Kobielak.
- University of Texas Southwestern — Krox20 and Dr. Lu Le.
- University of Wisconsin — Electricity Delivering Cap and Dr. Xudong Wang.
- Yale University — Dr. Brett King & Dr. Valerie Horsley.
- Wake Forest University — Dr. Amy McMichael & various others.
- University of British Columbia — Dr. Kevin McElwee (also see Replicel, where he is Chief Scientific Officer).
- University of Calgary — Dr. Jeff Biernaskie.
- University of Manitoba — Dr. Malcolm Xing.
- Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin: Clinical Research Center for Hair and Skin Science — Dr. Annika Vogt and Dr. Ulrike Blume-Peytavi.
- Friedrich-Alexander University (FAU) — Dr. Alexander Steinkasserer and MalliaBioTech.
- Monasterium Laboratory — Dr. Ralf Paus.
- Technische Universität Berlin — Dr. Roland Lauster & Dr. Gerd Lindner. Also see Tissuse.
- University of Lübeck — Dr. Jennifer Klopper.
- Theracell — cell-based hair regeneration via 3-D culturing.
- Technion — Israel Institute of Technology.
- Cassiopea — CB-03-01 (Breezula) topical antiandrogen (and Winlevi for acne).
- Dr. Pietro Gentile — Prolific author of studies on PRP, adipose stem cells and other regenerative hair loss treatments.
- Farmacia Parati (and Dr. Hasson) — Topical Finasteride and perhaps topical Dutasteride.
- Fidia Farmaceutici and Trinov aka Brotzu Lotion — PGE1 and DGLA.
- Mediteknia Hair Lab — Dr. Francisco Jimenez Acosta
- Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO) — Dr. Mirna Perez-Moreno & Dr. Donatello Castellana.
- University of Bradford — Dr. Valerie Randall & Dr. Des Tobin.
- Durham University — Dr. Claire Higgins & Dr. Colin Jahoda.
- University of Manchester — Dr. Ralf Paus.
- Cellmid — FGF-5 inhibition.
- University of Melbourne — Dr. Rodney Sinclair.
- Hebei University of Science and Technology — Dr. Chunyu Han.
- Hope Medicine.
- Southern Medical University (Nanfang Hospital) — Dr. Malcolm Xing and Dr. Zhi-Qi Hu.
- Kintor Pharmaceutical.
- TehnoDerma and its TDM-105795 topical formulation.
Japan: Hair Loss Cure Research
- Keio University — Dr. Manabu Ohyama.
- Kobe Biomedical Innovation Cluster (KBIC) — RIKEN, Dr. Takashi Tsuji and Shiseido/Replicel.
- Kyorin University — Dr. Hirotaro Fukuoka & Dr. Hirotaka Suga.
- Nippon Medical School — Dr. Rei Ogawa.
- Osaka University — Dr. Shigeki Inui.
- Shiseido — Canada-based Replicel’s much larger Japanese partner.
- Tokyo Medical and Dental — Stem Cell Biology Department via Dr. Hiroyuki Matsumura.
- Tokyo University of Science — Dr. Takashi Tsuji.
- Yokohama University — Dr. Junji Fukuda.
- CosmeRNA, via siRNAgen Therapeutics (Bioneer).
- Catholic University of Korea — various doctors via their dermatology department.
- Daewoong Pharmaceutical and Inventage Lab — Finasteride injections.
- Han Bio.
- OliX Pharmaceuticals.
- Seoul National University Hospital (SNUH) — Allogeneic hair transplants (led by Professor Kwon Oh-sang).
- Yonsei University — CXXC5, PTD-DBM and Dr. Kang-Yell Choi.
- National Taiwan University — Dr. Sung-Jan Lin.