Groundbreaking hair loss related research is being undertaken at various universities and labs globally as can be seen from the comprehensive below list. I am only including those universities and/or labs that are:
- Home to at least one renowned hair loss researcher.
- Or have been in the news many times when it comes to groundbreaking hair loss related research and discoveries.
- Or have published many hair loss related papers in reputable journals.
I hope to update this page every few months and add many more Asian (currently a bit lacking) universities and research centers on there in the coming years.
- Allergan — Bimatoprost (prostamide analog).
- BiologicsMD — University of Arkansas.
- Columbia University — Dr. Angela Christiano.
- Duke University — Dr. Elise Olsen.
- Histogen — Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC).
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai — The Rendl Lab.
- Johns Hopkins University — Dr. Luis Garza.
- Kerastem Technologies — Adipose (fat) tissue and hair growth.
- Kythera Biopharmaceuticals — Setipiprant, a PGD2 antaogonist. [Update: Kythera acquired by Allergan on June 17, 2015].
- New York University — Dr. Mayumi Ito.
- Rockefeller University — Dr. Elaine Fuchs.
- Samumed — SM04554 topical solution to activate Wnt pathway.
- Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute — Dr. Alexey Terskikh & Dr. Ksenia Gnedeva.
- Southern Illinois University — Dr. Michael Neumeister.
- Stanford University — Dr. Anthony Oro.
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Hair Loss Research — Dr. Rajesh Thangapazham, Dr. Thomas Darling & Dr. Shaowei Li.
- University of California Irvine — Dr. Maksim Plikus.
- University of California Los Angeles (UCLA) — Dr. Heather Christofk and Dr. William Lowry.
- University of Florida — Prometheon Pharma –> Follicept.
- University of Kansas — Dr. Omar Aljitawi.
- University of Pennsylvania — Dr. George Cotsarelis (also see Follica, whose technology is licensed from U Penn).
- University of South California — Dr. Cheng-Ming Chuong & Dr. Krzysztof Kobielak.
- Yale University — Dr. Brett King & Dr. Valerie Horsley.
- Wake Forest University — Dr. Amy McMichael & various others.
- University of British Columbia — Dr. Kevin McElwee (also see Replicel, where he is Chief Scientific Officer).
- University of Calgary — Dr. Jeff Biernaskie.
- University of Manitoba — Dr. Malcolm Xing.
- Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin: Clinical Research Center for Hair and Skin Science — Dr. Annika Vogt and Dr. Ulrike Blume-Peytavi.
- Monasterium Laboratory — Dr. Ralf Paus.
- Technische Universität Berlin — Dr. Roland Lauster & Dr. Gerd Lindner.
- University of Lübeck — Dr. Jennifer Klopper.
- Theracell — cell-based hair regeneration via 3-D culturing.
- Technion — Israel Institute of Technology.
- Farmacia Parati (and Dr. Hasson) — Topical Finasteride and perhaps topical Dutasteride.
- Cosmo Pharmaceuticals — CB-03-01 topical antiandrogen.
- Fidia Farmaceutici and Dr. Giovanni Brotzu — PGE1 and DGLA.
- Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO) — Dr. Mirna Perez-Moreno & Dr. Donatello Castellana.
- Follicum — FOL-005 drug to inhibit body hair and/or increase scalp hair.
- Polichem — P-3074 topical Finasteride product.
- University of Bradford — Dr. Valerie Randall & Dr. Des Tobin.
- Durham University — Dr. Claire Higgins & Dr. Colin Jahoda.
- University of Manchester — Dr. Ralf Paus.
- Cellmid — FGF-5 inhibition.
- University of Melbourne — Dr. Rodney Sinclair.
- University of Queensland — Dr. Julien Legrand.
- Southern Medical University (Nanfang Hospital) — Dr. Zhi-Qi Hu.
- Hebei Univeristy of Science and Technology — Dr. Chunyu Han.
- Keio University — Dr. Manabu Ohyama.
- Kobe Biomedical Innovation Cluster (KBIC) — RIKEN, Dr. Takashi Tsuji and Shiseido/Replicel.
- Kyorin University — Dr. Hirotaro Fukuoka & Dr. Hirotaka Suga.
- Nippon Medical School — Dr. Rei Ogawa.
- Osaka University — Dr. Shigeki Inui.
- Shiseido — Canada-based Replicel’s much larger Japanese partner.
- Tokyo University of Science — Dr. Takashi Tsuji.
- Yokohama University — Dr. Junji Fukuda.
- Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology — no updates since 2013.
- Catholic University of Korea — various doctors via their dermatology department.
- CHA Bio-Cosmetic Institute — no updates on their news page since 2013.
- National Taiwan University — Dr. Sung-Jan Lin.