- See more precise details by city when scrolling down through this entire page below the map. Some cities such as New York, San Diego and Tokyo have a few distinct ongoing projects, and only some of the dots show up on the map in those cities.
- Zoom into the below map for better resolution by continent.
Groundbreaking hair loss related research is being undertaken at various universities and labs globally as can be seen from the above world map. I am only including those universities and labs that are home to at least one renowned hair loss researcher; or have been in the news many times when it comes to groundbreaking hair loss related research and discoveries; or have published many hair loss related papers in reputable journals.
On the above map, you can click and expand each country to zoom in and clearly see individual cities that are too close to each other. Unfortunately the map does not allow you to see more than one or two university or lab per city (a problem in cities such as New York, San Diego and Tokyo) so I have listed each one separately below. The links in the map and below are for the most part targeted to related posts on this blog, from where you can then get direct links to each researcher or lab’s home page. I hope to update this map every month and add many more Asian universities and research centers on there in the coming years.
- Allergan — Bimatoprost (prostamide analog).
- BiologicsMD — University of Arkansas.
- Columbia University — Dr. Angela Christiano.
- Duke University — Dr. Elise Olsen.
- Histogen — Hair Stimulating Complex (HSC).
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai — The Rendl Lab.
- Johns Hopkins University — Dr. Luis Garza.
- Kerastem Technologies — Adipose (fat) tissue and hair growth.
- Kythera Biopharmaceuticals — Setipiprant, a PGD2 antaogonist. [Update: Kythera acquired by Allergan on June 17, 2015].
- New York University — Dr. Mayumi Ito.
- Rockefeller University — Dr. Elaine Fuchs.
- Samumed — SM04554 topical solution to activate Wnt pathway.
- Sanford-Burnham Medical Research Institute — Dr. Alexey Terskikh & Dr. Ksenia Gnedeva.
- Southern Illinois University — Dr. Michael Neumeister.
- Stanford University — Dr. Anthony Oro.
- Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences Hair Loss Research — Dr. Rajesh Thangapazham, Dr. Thomas Darling & Dr. Shaowei Li.
- University of California Irvine — Dr. Maksim Plikus.
- University of Florida — Prometheon Pharma –> Follicept.
- University of Kansas — Dr. Omar Aljitawi.
- University of Pennsylvania — Dr. George Cotsarelis (also see Follica, whose technology is licensed from U Penn).
- University of South California — Dr. Cheng-Ming Chuong & Dr. Krzysztof Kobielak.
- Yale University — Dr. Brett King & Dr. Valerie Horsley.
- Wake Forest University — Dr. Amy McMichael & various others.
- University of British Columbia — Dr. Kevin McElwee (also see Replicel, where he is Chief Scientific Officer).
- University of Calgary — Dr. Jeff Biernaskie.
- University of Manitoba — Dr. Malcolm Xing.
- Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin: Clinical Research Center for Hair and Skin Science — Dr. Annika Vogt and Dr. Ulrike Blume-Peytavi.
- Technische Universität Berlin — Dr. Roland Lauster & Dr. Gerd Lindner.
- University of Lübeck — Dr. Jennifer Klopper.
- Theracell — cell-based hair regeneration via 3-D culturing.
- Technion — Israel Institute of Technology.
- Farmacia Parati (and Dr. Hasson) — Topical Finasteride and perhaps topical Dutasteride.
- Cosmo Pharmaceuticals — CB-03-01 topical antiandrogen.
- Fidia Farmaceutici and Dr. Giovanni Brotzu — PGE1 and DGLA.
- Spanish National Cancer Research Centre (CNIO) — Dr. Mirna Perez-Moreno & Dr. Donatello Castellana.
- Follicum — FOL-005 drug to inhibit body hair and/or increase scalp hair.
- Polichem — P-3074 topical Finasteride product.
- University of Bradford — Dr. Valerie Randall & Dr. Des Tobin.
- Durham University — Dr. Claire Higgins & Dr. Colin Jahoda.
- University of Manchester — Dr. Ralf Paus.
- Cellmid — FGF-5 inhibition.
- University of Melbourne — Dr. Rodney Sinclair.
- University of Queensland — Dr. Julien Legrand.
- Southern Medical University (Nanfang Hospital) — Dr. Zhi-Qi Hu.
- Hebei Univeristy of Science and Technology — Dr. Chunyu Han.
- Keio University — Dr. Manabu Ohyama.
- Kobe Biomedical Innovation Cluster (KBIC) — RIKEN, Dr. Takashi Tsuji and Shiseido/Replicel.
- Kyorin University — Dr. Hirotaro Fukuoka & Dr. Hirotaka Suga.
- Nippon Medical School — Dr. Rei Ogawa.
- Osaka University — Dr. Shigeki Inui.
- Shiseido — Canada-based Replicel’s much larger Japanese partner.
- Tokyo University of Science — Dr. Takashi Tsuji.
- Yokohama University — Dr. Junji Fukuda.
- Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology — no updates since 2013.
- Catholic University of Korea — various doctors via their dermatology department.
- CHA Bio-Cosmetic Institute — no updates on their news page since 2013.
- National Taiwan University — Dr. Sung-Jan Lin.