In 2013, I wrote two posts on body hair transplants (BHT) where surgeons move body hair to the scalp in the event of donor hair shortage at the back of the scalp in the permanent zone of severely balding people. This type of procedure has some drawbacks as I discussed before, and body hair is virtually never as good or reliable as scalp donor hair.
Nevertheless, there have by now been thousands of BHT cases performed worldwide with many satisfied patients. In most cases, body hair is added as an adjunct filler to scalp hair during a hair transplant procedure, although I have also seen videos of excellent body hair only megasession hair transplant procedures. The increasing popularity of BHT makes sense when one considers that a large portion of balding men tend to have a lot of body hair.
Below is a list of surgeons who offer body hair transplants around the world. I only included those that have devoted pages of their websites specifically to BHT or have presented interesting BHT case examples on their sites and/or hair loss forums. From my years of reading hair loss forums, I would guess that Dr. Arvind Poswal (India) is probably the most experienced surgeons in the world at performing body hair to head hair transplants. Dr. Ray Woods (Australia) is the pioneer in this procedure, but he performs far fewer procedures than Dr. Poswal.
Virtually all surgeons seem to find beard hair as the best type of body hair to be used for moving to the scalp, although some prefer not touching facial hair due to fear of potential permanent scarring. Most surgeons seem to find chest hair to be the second best candidate to move to the scalp.
Note that for many people hair transplants represent a “cure” for hair loss so posts such as this are important. Moreover, if you browse all the links below, there are some fascinating before and after transformation photos and chest/beard/other body area post extraction healing photos that are worth checking out.
- Dr. Ray Woods. His most famous BHT patient: “Timetested“, who started his transformation as far back as 2001. Also see a summary of Dr. Woods presented online cases on hairsite. Dr. Woods is one of the pioneers of BHT.
- Dr. Christian Bisanga. Highly respected FUE surgeon. I prefer his “BHFUE” term to the now widely used “BHT” term.
- Dr. Bijan Feriduni.
- Dr. Patrick Mwamba. Expand procedure questions section. His other .com site is not working.
- Talizi Clinic (Dr. Akaki Tsilosani and Dr. Vazha Vadachkoria).
- Dr. Tejinder Bhatti (has interesting statistics on his BHT patients).
- Dr. Kapil Dua.
- Dr. Vikas Gawri. Also has this second site.
- Dr. Niraj Goenka.
- Dr. Kinnar Kapadia.
- Dr. Feroz Khan.
- Dr. Madhukumar.
- Dr. Bishan Mahadevia.
- Dr. Venkataram Mysore. An interesting one patient report that he published can be found here.
- Dr. Arvind Poswal. In all likelihood, the world’s most experienced surgeon when it comes to BHT based on that excellent data collection effort on hairsite. Dr. Poswal published an important study in 2010 that discusses how preshaving the region of the body from where body hair is extracted four days prior to hair transplantation will ensure that only anagen growth phase body hair is extracted and then transplanted.
- Dr. Pradeep Sohi.
- The Private Clinic (Dr. Raghu Reddy and others — brief mention on that page when you scroll down).
- Dr. Malte Villnow (scroll down to the end).
- Dr. Edward Ball (great article with before and after photos).
United States of America
- Dr. Bernardino Arocha.
- Dr. John Cole (perhaps the most experienced surgeon in the US when it comes to BHT and even FUE in general).
- Marc Dauer.
- Dr. Jeffrey Epstein.
- Dr. Baubac Hayatdavoudi.
- Dr. Gregory Pistone.
- Dr. Robert True (seems to have been one of the earliest adopters).
- Dr. Gregory Turowski. See this patient example of his on the BTT forums. He also seems to have a second site.
- Dr. Sanusi Umar. He has some of the best videos on YouTube when it comes to BHT megasessions. However, his site has not been loading for me today.