Revivogen® shampoo has been on the market for over 20 years. It is one of a select few renowned hair loss products that I never reviewed. I even used it once over a decade ago. It is ranked amongst the best hair loss shampoo products in the world.
The Revivogen line of products were developed by California-based board certified dermatologist Dr. Alex Khadavi. The company’s Facebook page and Instagram page have updates on any new sales , discounts, coupons and product releases. Also check out their UK site.
Revivogen Bio-Cleansing Shampoo
The shampoo removes sebum and impurities from the scalp. This creates a healthy environment for stimulating hair growth and preventing hair loss. A number of people have discussed this product on Reddit and on hair loss forums over the years.
On Amazon, the Revivogen shampoo has an average rating of 4.3 out of 5 stars as of the time of writing this post. This is based on almost 500 customer reviews, although no-one has posted any before and after images. You can also purchase the bio-cleanser and hair thickening conditioner combination package.
Revivogen Scalp Therapy
The Revivogen MD and PRO lines both include the company’s scalp therapy serum products. The product’s reviews on Amazon currently average 4.0 out of 5 stars.
This dermatologist formulated, botanically rich hair serum is a topical, leave-in hair loss solution. It is effective for all hair types and is safe for color-treated hair.
The Revivogen MD scalp therapy serum contains natural dihydrotestosterone (DHT) blockers. It is clinically proven to inhibit both type 1 and type 2 5-alpha reductase. This should ultimately reduce hair shedding and thicken existing hair, although results will vary.
How it Works
The Revivogen shampoo and conditioner products work by inhibiting the adverse effects of DHT and strengthening existing hair. Note that if you purchase all three products, make sure to first lather and rinse the Nizoral shampoo. Then apply the conditioner.
The serum is its own separate treatment. It will require 10 or more sprays in large thinning areas of the scalp. Or just one or two sprays in small balding spots. Make sure to then leave the serum on overnight, or for at least for 3 hours in the daytime.
- Gamma linolenic acid (GLA), alpha linolenic acid (ALA), linoleic acid and oleic acid. All of these are essential fatty acids that are found in plant oils. These fatty acids have all been proven to inhibit the baldness causing 5-alpha reductase enzyme.
- Saw Palmetto extract, which is a natural dihydrotestosterone (DHT) inhibitor and mild anti-androgen.
- Azelaic acid, vitamin B6 and zinc. The synergistic anti-inflammatory activity of these three compounds against 5-alpha-reductase is powerful.
- Procyanidin oligomers (Proanthocyanidin). These naturally derived ingredients have been shown to stimulate hair growth to a similar extent as Minoxidil (Rogaine).
- Caffeine, aloe vera, castor oil, grape seed extract and more.
Note that since Revivogen shampoo is a natural product, it does not require US FDA approval in order to be sold to the public.
There is also a published study that examines Revivogen’s impact on testosterone metabolism. In general, I would still prefer Minoxidil as a first line topical hair growth treatment over a shampoo.